- Fluvial geomorphology
- Sediment transport in rivers
- River incision modelling
- Quantifying erosion rates using Cosmogenic Nuclides.
- Project coordination of the URSACHEN-project: Uncertainties in the quantification of spatially and temporally varying particulate matter transport in rivers.
- Quantification of global matter transport based on the GEMstat database.
- Development of data products and analysis tools for the calculation of particulate matter transport.
- 2019 – 2021: Board member of the German Young Geomorphologists
- 2019 & current: Co-convening a session at the EGU in Wien titled “Crowd-solving Problems in Earth Sciences”
- 2019 & 2020: Co-convening a session at the EGU in Wien titled “Novel Approaches in Geochronology: Quantifying Geomorphological Processes and Landscape Dynamics”
2016-2021: Doctoral student at the German Research Centre for Geosciences, Department of Earth Surface Geochemistry – Potsdam, Germany
2015: Research Intern at the Leibniz Institute for Agricultural Engineering and Bioeconomy – Potsdam, Germany
2016-2018: Student Assistant “Isotopic quantification of dates and rates in geomorphology” – Freie Universität Berlin, Germany
2009-2013 Master of Science, Soil Geography and Earth Surface Dynamics – Wageningen University, The Netherlands
2013-2015 Bachelor of Science, Soil, Water and Atmosphere – Wageningen University, The Netherlands
Publications in scientific journals
Van Dongen, R. Discharge variability and river incision along a climate gradient in central Chile. PhD thesis, http://dx.doi.org/10.17169/refubium-32011, 2021.
van Dongen, R., Scherler, D., Wittmann, H. and von Blanckenburg, F.: Cosmogenic 10Be in river sediment: where grain size matters and why, Earth Surf. Dynam., 7, 393–410, doi:10.5194/esurf-7-393-2019, 2019
Germer, S., van Dongen, R. and Kern, J.: Decomposition of cherry tree prunings and their short-term impact on soil quality, Appl. Soil Ecol., 117–118(January), 156–164, doi:10.1016/j.apsoil.2017.05.003, 2017.
van Dongen, R., Scherler, D., Wendi, D., Deal, E., Meier, C., Marwan, N., Mao, L. El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) controls on mean streamflow and streamflow variability in Central Chile. EGU 2022 (PICO).
van Dongen, R., Scherler, D., Deal, E., Meier, C., Mao, L., Lisac, I. Discharge variability along a climate gradient in Chile: seasonality and (eco-)hydrological modulation by catchment attributes. EGU 2019 (PICO).
van Dongen, R., Scherler, D., Deal, E., Meier, C., Mao, L., Lisac, I. Which catchment characteristics control the magnitude-frequency distribution of river discharge? AGU 2018 (poster).
van Dongen, R., Scherler, D., Wittmann, H., von Blanckenburg, F. Grain size-dependent 10Be concentrations in river sediment: Why they matter in high mountain landscapes. Central European Conference on Geomorphology and Quaternary Sciences, 2018 (talk).
van Dongen, R., Scherler, D., Wittmann, H., von Blanckenburg, F. Where do 10Be-derived denudation rates depend on grain size? EGU 2018 (poster).
van Dongen, R., Germer, S., Kern, J., Stoorvogel, J. Visual versus chemical evaluation: Effects of pruning wood decomposition on soil quality in a cherry orchard (Northeast Germany). EGU 2016 (PICO).