- Fluvial geomorphology
- Sediment transport in rivers
- River incision modelling
- Quantifying erosion rates using Cosmogenic Nuclides.
- Project coordination of the URSACHEN-project: Uncertainties in the quantification of spatially and temporally varying particulate matter transport in rivers.
- Quantification of global matter transport based on the GEMstat database.
- Development of data products and analysis tools for the calculation of particulate matter transport.
- 2019 – current: Member of the advisory board of the German Young Geomorphologists
- 2019 & 2020: Co-convening a session at the EGU in Wien titled “Crowd-solving Problems in Earth Sciences”
- 2019 & 2020: Co-convening a session at the EGU in Wien titled “Novel Approaches in Geochronology: Quantifying Geomorphological Processes and Landscape Dynamics”
2016-current: Doctoral student at the German Research Centre for Geosciences, Department of Earth Surface Geochemistry – Potsdam, Germany
2015: Research Intern at the Leibniz Institute for Agricultural Engineering and Bioeconomy – Potsdam, Germany
2016-2018: Student Assistant “Isotopic quantification of dates and rates in geomorphology” – Freie Universität Berlin, Germany
2009-2013 Master of Science, Soil Geography and Earth Surface Dynamics – Wageningen University, The Netherlands
2013-2015 Bachelor of Science, Soil, Water and Atmosphere – Wageningen University, The Netherlands
Publications in scientific journals
van Dongen, R., Scherler, D., Wittmann, H. and von Blanckenburg, F.: Cosmogenic 10Be in river sediment: where grain size matters and why, Earth Surf. Dynam., 7, 393–410, doi:10.5194/esurf-7-393-2019, 2019
Germer, S., van Dongen, R. and Kern, J.: Decomposition of cherry tree prunings and their short-term impact on soil quality, Appl. Soil Ecol., 117–118(January), 156–164, doi:10.1016/j.apsoil.2017.05.003, 2017.
van Dongen, R., Scherler, D., Deal, E., Meier, C., Mao, L., Lisac, I. Discharge variability along a climate gradient in Chile: seasonality and (eco-)hydrological modulation by catchment attributes. EGU 2019 (PICO).
van Dongen, R., Scherler, D., Deal, E., Meier, C., Mao, L., Lisac, I. Which catchment characteristics control the magnitude-frequency distribution of river discharge? AGU 2018 (poster).
van Dongen, R., Scherler, D., Wittmann, H., von Blanckenburg, F. Grain size-dependent 10Be concentrations in river sediment: Why they matter in high mountain landscapes. Central European Conference on Geomorphology and Quaternary Sciences, 2018 (talk).
van Dongen, R., Scherler, D., Wittmann, H., von Blanckenburg, F. Where do 10Be-derived denudation rates depend on grain size? EGU 2018 (poster).
van Dongen, R., Germer, S., Kern, J., Stoorvogel, J. Visual versus chemical evaluation: Effects of pruning wood decomposition on soil quality in a cherry orchard (Northeast Germany). EGU 2016 (PICO).