Scope of duties
- Analysis of global water quality data held by the GEMS/Water Data Centre.
- Support and Consultation of GEMS/Water partners in the fields of water quality data management and data exchange.
- Public relations for the GEMS/Water Data Centre.
- Spatial and temporal variations in global water quality.
- Effects of variation in nutrient and suspended matter concentrations on aquatic primary productivity.
- Since November 2022: Scientific Officer at the GEMS/Water Data Centre, International Centre for Water Resources and Global Change, Koblenz, Germany.
- July 2015 – September 2022: Research Scientist at the Centre for Environment & Marine Studies, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. Environmental Impact Assessments and long-term Monitoring in the Arabian Gulf and the Red Sea, study of plankton community dynamics in the Arabian Gulf.
- March 2014 – March 2015: Scientific editor for English at Cactus Communications.
- October 2009 – June 2014: PhD in Environmental Science at the University of East Anglia, Norwich, England. Project topic: The effects of light, temperature and nutrients on coccolithophores and implications for biogeochemical models.
- October 2002 – July 2008: Diploma studies in Biology at the universities of Bayreuth, Kiel and Odense, Denmark. Diploma thesis topic at Kiel University: Utilization of organic phosphorus compounds by Trichodesmium IMS 101, a marine diazotroph.
- MJ Heinle, RM Kolchar, AV Flandez, TR Clardy, BK Thomas, TI Hikmawan, PK Prihartato, KA Abdulkader, MA Qurban (2021). Spatial and temporal variability in the phytoplankton community of the Western Arabian Gulf and its regulation by physicochemical factors and zooplankton. Regional Studies in Marine Science 47, 101982. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rsma.2021.101982
- MAB Qurban, M Wafar, M Heinle (2019). Phytoplankton and primary production in the Red Sea. In: N Rasul & I Stewart (eds) Oceanographic and Biological Aspects of the Red Sea. Springer Oceanography. Springer, Cham, pp 491-506. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-99417-8_27
- TR Clardy, MJ Heinle, YJ Lin (2019). 3.11 The Pelagic Environment of the Arabian Gulf. In: K Al-Abdulkader, RA Loughland, MA Qurban (eds.) Ecosystems and Biodiversity of the Arabian Gulf – Saudi Arabian Waters: 50 years of Marine Research. Saudi Aramco und King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, pp 309-323.
- MA Qurban, M Wafar, MJ Heinle, KP Manikandan, TR Clardy, K Al-Abdulkader (2019). Chapter 4.1 Plankton. In: K Al-Abdulkader, RA Loughland, MA Qurban (eds.) Ecosystems and Biodiversity of the Arabian Gulf – Saudi Arabian Waters: 50 years of Marine Research. Saudi Aramco und King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, pp 329-364.
- CJ O’Brien, JA Peloquin, M Vogt, M Heinle, N Gruber, P Ajani, H Andruleit, J Arístegui, L Beaufort, M Estrada, D Karentz, E Kopczy?ska, R Lee, AJ Poulton, T Pritchard, C Widdicombe (2013). Global marine plankton functional type biomass distributions: coccolithophores. Earth System Science Data 5(2), pp 259-276. https://doi.org/10.5194/essd-5-259-2013
Back to "Team"